5-Spice Yellow Pea Soup
Our favorite spices and herbs begin with the letter C- curry, cumin, chipotle, cinnamon, and cilantro. We use them for everything! In this creamy soup, we roast the yams with spices to bring out its sweetness. It doesn't hurt to add a little coconut milk to the equation.
Have you ever wondered how to make a different split pea soup, unlike grandmas? Here is one great recipe outside the box! We did a series of split pea soups a few years back for USA Pulses. Here is a favorite one.
Serves 6 cups
Ingredients 2 medium-sized yams, peeled and cut into 1" cubes, about 2 cups 1 TBSP 5-C Spices, ( recipe below) 2 TBSP Olive Oil 1 large carrot, chopped, about 1 cup 1 medium parsnip, chopped, about 1 cup 1 small sweet onion, chopped, about 1/2 cup 8 cups water 1 1/2 cups dried yellow split peas 1- 13.5 can of unsweetened coconut milk ( * Or fresh coconut milk, recipe below) 1 teaspoon of salt, or to taste 1/2 cup Spanish peanuts, chopped, as garnish 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped, as garnish 1/4 cup Thai Basil, nipped, as garnish
Ingredients 5-C Spice 2 TBSP each, Madras yellow curry, ground cumin, ground chipotle or smoked paprika 1 teaspoon cinnamon 1 TBSP ground cilantro 2 TBSP Kosher Salt
Mix all the spices, herbs, and salt in a small bowl.
Store your spice mix in a small metal spice tin can or a mason jar.
With the lid closed, mix every time you use it.
Directions for Soup
1. Heat oven to 375. Add the spice mix and 1 TBSP of olive oil in a bowl. Add the yams.
2. Toss the bowl, so the yams coat evenly.
3. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and place the yams so they are spaced and can roast throughout.
4. Roast for about 30 minutes or until yams are soft and caramelized.
5. Meanwhile, heat the remaining tablespoon of olive oil in a soup pot. Add the carrot, parsnip, and onion and saute for about 4 minutes—season with salt.
6. Add 3 cups of the water and the peas and bring to a boil.
7. Lower heat and cover. Simmer for about 45 minutes or when peas are tender.
8. Add three more cups of water and stir. You will notice that the mixture is beginning to thicken. Cover.
9. Add the cooked yams to the pot with the peas.
10. You may have to add the last 2 cups of water so that the soup is creamy. Cover until the peas are cooked.
11. Puree with an immersion blender.
12. Finish the soup with coconut milk. Stir and allow the soup to warm up.
13. Portion in 4 bowls and top with peanuts and herbs.
* NOTE: To express the fresh coconut milk
Ingredients for the Coconut Milk 1 ½ cups unsweetened shredded coconut 2 ½ cups of warm water
Directions for the Coconut Milk 1. In a blender, combine the coconut and 2 cups of warm water. 2. Let stand until the coconut softens, about 1 minute. 3. Blend on high until creamy, 1 to 2 minutes. 4. Strain through a fine mesh strainer set over a large measuring cup or medium bowl, pressing on the solids; you should have 1½ cups, 12 ounces, of strained coconut milk. 5. Discard the solids; set the coconut milk aside.